8 Scenes from "La La Land" that we saw in Bollywood movies before!
"La La Land" is a musical and romantic story of a jazz pianist who falls in love with an aspiring, young actress. They both try to keep their love strong while fighting for their dreams to come true in Los Angeles. The film has won a lot of movie awards, including 14 Oscar nominations, which turned into 6 statuettes. This motion picture is filled with beautiful music, numerous songs and dance sequences that refer to many well-known and famous American musicals.
Although "La La Land" director Damien Chazelle admitted that he had many influences especially from legendary musicals from Hollywood's golden age, we can consider that he recreated many scenes known from Bollywood movies as well. The settings that were shown in his motion picture are very popular in many Indian productions and they have been used by Hindi filmmakers for ages. Let's see them!
1. The opening movie scene on the highway is a reference to a French musical "Les demoiselles de Rochefort", but dancing on the top of vehicles is well-known in Bollywood. We can say that the most famous example of such a scene is from "Dil Se..." movie, in which Shah Rukh Khan and Malaika Arora Khan are dancing on the top of a moving train. Do you remember that?
2. "La La Land" contains several important scenes. When the paths of Mia and Sebastian intersect, and they pass side by side almost without noticing or when one does not see the other. Romantic Bollywood movies are built on such scenes and they have been warming up the hearts of the public for years.
3. The scene in which Mia and her girlfriends dance on the street in colourful dresses is, according to the director, a reference to the movies "Sweet Charity" or "West Side Story". But how many times have we seen such sequences in Indian movies? Millions! Some even have the same outfits.
4. "La La Land" scene in which Mia and Sebastian are in Griffith Observatory and where they are thinking about their dreams can be a reference to a dream sequence, with suspending time from "Moulin Rouge" or “Broadway Melody of 1940”. But do you remember the shot from "Om Shanti Om" film and Shah Rukh Khan with Deepika Padukone's dance?
5. After Sebastian meets Mia, in addition to a brief conversation, they perform a joint dance, almost like in the movies "Singin 'in the Rain", "Shall we dance" or "The Band wagon". Such sequences are so common in Bollywood films, that we can call it our Indian tradition! Do you agree?
6. Mia is charmed by Sebastian when she sees him playing piano in the restaurant. Ryan Gosling, especially for the movie, learned how to play the piano. This trick isn't anything new, over 20 years ago Shah Rukh Khan tried to impress a girl in the same way in a movie called "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge". However, SRK cannot actually play the piano.
8. The scene like when Mia and her roommates are dancing unencumbered through their apartment with playback music was seen before in many movies like "Grease" or "West side story" and also in a huge number of Bollywood movies. Can you name one of them?
9. This may not be a special reference to the movies, but a point worth to note! Have you noticed that in all the movies mentioned in this text, as well as in all the Bollywood romantic films, all stars and characters look great? They have beautiful outfits and perfect makeup every time.